Re: Fwd: [IANA #1160740] Request for media type application/ld+json

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 10:46:30 -0500
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: W3C JSON-LD Working Group <public-json-ld-wg@w3.org>
On 2/21/20 5:24 PM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> I think that, at this point, we should remove this thing from the
> JSON-LD spec and finalize the spec with ld+json. I do not think we
> should make the progress towards a Rec stop because of that.

Agreed.

> Manu, Dave, there is a different discussion to take up on the DID side.
> But that should not affect the advancement of JSON-LD

Correct, we'll figure it out in the DID WG. We can always state that
did+jsonld MUST be processed as if it were ld+json... but push the
+json+ld discussion at IETF/IANA... DID WG doesn't need finality on that
for a year, so let's push IETF to get to a decision there, because it is
the cleaner solution (and we've already done tests to see if it breaks
media type libraries and it doesn't seem to).

I've opened a new issue in the DID WG and we'll pursue it there:

https://github.com/w3c/did-core/issues/208

Thank you to the JSON-LD WG for the consideration and effort! :)

We'll pursue this in the DID WG (with, hopefully, the support of the
JSON-LD WG -- for as long as their charter allows).

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches