Re: Extended types in JSON(-LD)

On 08/06/2018 10:47 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> I agree with you that for JSON-LD a full
> understanding/implementation of RDF

There are several ways to interpret this statement. I'm concerned about
the one where folks may be insisting that most people will have to learn
RDF to use JSON-LD.

Yes, there are some cases where you may need to understand RDF in order
to do the right thing with JSON-LD... but if we make this the standard
case, we'll quickly see JSON-LD shelved by developers for the same
reasons other RDF serializations have been largely ignored by the
general developer population.

Most JSON-LD will happily do full round trip serialization to RDF and
back. That was by design. However, understanding why that works or the
RDF data model is not central to authoring JSON-LD in any way shape or form.

Folks mistakenly keep thinking that JSON-LD needs RDF to exist, but
rather it's that it exists in spite of RDF. JSON-LD can be losslessly
round-tripped to other data models as well (YAML, for example). JSON-LD
is an attempt to get people to use a semi-sane graph-based data model
without knowing that they're doing it.

It's the same way that many of us use cryptography libraries without
knowing anything about the mathematical basis for any of it. We have to
ensure that this stays true for JSON-LD.

Insisting that people understand anything about RDF for JSON-LD to be
useful to them is a path that leads to nowhere (and is why many RDF
serializations failed to gain mainstream traction).

I know many of you already know all this... just repeating it in the
event that we have new people that didn't hear it the first time we said
this sort of thing many years ago... or have since forgotten one of the
key design criteria for JSON-LD. :)

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches