Re: (My) system view

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 18:24, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
<cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com> wrote:

> > On 11,Jan2022, at 9:58 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I take the last sentence to be an injunction not just to comment in prose
> but to provide an alternative drawing.  OK.  I’m not sure I’d call anything
> in your diagram incorrect, though I find some parts unclear.

OK Please do.

> I think the basic situation in ixml to involve just a grammar (in whatever form),
> a text input, and XML output; this is very like your diagram, but with fewer
> boxes.

OK, I'll nest the outer and two inner ones.

Also, since I’m used to data flow diagrams that represent processes as
> ovals or circles, I’ve changed the shape of the processor box to an oval, and
> made the overall label of the graph just text.  (I don’t understand why my
> mail user agent is showing me the SVG in your mail as an image, but not the
> SVG in my mail.  So I’ve added a PNG form as well.)

Edit the dot file and convert to SVG (which shows in the browser)

> A special case of this basic general pattern, of course, involves ixml grammars
> in text form, and the ixml grammar for ixml grammars:

Suggestion: That's edge case, for developers (not needed for basic
understanding)
Do you agree?

> And I think the terminological challenge arises from attempts to talk
> clearly about data flows in which a processor reads an ixml text grammar
> and first turns it into XML before using it to process the text input.

I don't understand this para Michael?

I don't refer to any order of execution (again, not needed for a basic
understanding IMHO)

regards

--
Dave Pawson