Re: (My) system view

…

>> A special case of this basic general pattern, of course, involves ixml grammars
>> in text form, and the ixml grammar for ixml grammars:
>
> Suggestion: That's edge case, for developers (not needed for basic
> understanding)
> Do you agree?

Yes, I think it’s possible to use ixml productively without
ever much thinking about the grammar for grammars or its
implications.  I included it primarily to set up the two-level
diagram which followed.

When introducing iXML to most people, I think it may be
best to avoid dwelling overmuch on the fact that ixml grammars
have an ixml grammar and can thus be parsed by ixml processors.
On the other hand, that’s quite a common situation for developers
and we do need to be able to talk about; I think that’s where
the requirements arise for useful terminology we can agree on
and use.

>> And I think the terminological challenge arises from attempts to talk
>> clearly about data flows in which a processor reads an ixml text grammar
>> and first turns it into XML before using it to process the text input.
>
> I don't understand this para Michael?

If I understood the conversation that led to people saying
some useful terminology would be helpful, I think the desire
for clear terminology arises particularly in cases where the
grammar is provided in text form and is parsed before being
used.

> I don't refer to any order of execution (again, not needed for a basic
> understanding IMHO)

No you don’t; I did, because I think that’s a salient part of the
situation people have trouble talking or sometimes even thinking
about.

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC
cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com