Re: BIDI?

Hello Slim, others,

On 2011/04/27 14:59, Slim Amamou wrote:
> hello Mark,
> - why not enforce the use of the scheme for uri detection? (in contexts
> where the scheme is not obvious, like for example the URL bar of the
> browser)

The scheme has very similar problems to the top-level domain: The list
of schemes grows the same way the list of top-level domains grows. My
guess is that the list is a bit shorter, and grows a bit less quickly,
but it's not a big difference, at least for the moment.

> - why not have a predefined/enforced directionality in the specs for each
> scheme? (ex. LTR for URLs)

Schemes are independent of directionality. The same scheme name is used
for URIs and for IRIs, with and without bidi characters.

> Sorry if those issues have already been publicly discussed during my
> absence, but I've been busy doing revolution here in Tunisia :)

I think I remember seeing a name similar to yours somewhere in some
news. I'm glad to hear again from you on this list.

> I was very
> pleased to see that the component based approach has been adopted for IRIs

The component based approach has not yet been adopted. However, there is
a growing realization that it might be the right thing to do (despite
the fact that it has some drawbacks, too). So there is quite some chance
that it will get adopted in the (near?) future.

[Please note that Mark's document, as far as the IETF is concerned, does
not have any standing at all. Sending the actual text to the mailing
list, or submitting the document as an Internet-Draft would fix that.]

Regards,   Martin.