Re: Atomic payments

In my experience to date, it's most often people familiar with existing
payment systems that want atomic mode. I think that in time we'll find that
complete end to end atomicity comes at a cost that is not justified for a
lot of payments.

At the end of the day the cost of a payment is mostly about covering the
various risks involved. There are operational costs that must be covered
but those also often stem from some kind of risk-mitigation operations. The
cost to move the bytes from A to B to make a payment is certainly nowhere
near the 1% and up that most payments cost to send.

In a world where ILP is a foundational layer for the mechanics of moving
value, risk will likely be dealt with at higher layers in the stack so that
it's still possible for someone to send a payment at almost zero cost if
they accept the associated risks.

This is better than today where your choice of network determines your
costs. Instead you'd have a network of networks with very low costs and
only the protocol providing any guarantees but you can pick service
providers that provide insurance etc at a fee.