Re: Hashed Timelock Agreements (HTLAs)

I think it would be useful to explain the "Unconditional Payment Channels"
a little more.

I assume this means that there is a ledger and the ledger is responsible
for tracking completed payments (where completed means the preimage has
been presented before expiry) but the actual transfer of funds between the
two peer accounts on the ledger only occurs occasionally (i.e. not for each
payment).

The difference between this and the other two is nuanced and not obvious,
especially for those unfamiliar with systems like Lightning. Are there any
networks other than XRP Ledger and Lightning where these are possible?