Re: [Ledger] Forming a Routing Working Group

AFAIK onion routing is just source routing with encryption. Nodes put
together a path maybe using Djikstra's or another path finding algorithm,
but they must have the information to do this. Some projects like Raiden
get the list of open channels from the blockchain. I think Lightning is
doing this too. The problem with this is that the fact that a channel
exists does not mean that it has enough of a balance in the direction you
need. Also, information about different fees charged is likely to be out of
date. The more up to date you want this information to be, the more routing
messages every node will have to propagate.

If you instead flood route request messages, this is a lot of traffic, but
routes will always be informed by the most up to date information. Let's
say each route request message takes 64 bytes. I read online that Visa
handles an average of 2,000 transactions per second. 2000 * 64 * 8 =
1,024,000. Each full node needs to receive and route about 1Mbit/s of route
request messages. They will also have to recognize and drop route request
messages they have seen before, so the total amount will be somewhat higher
and will be affected by how densely connected the network is. I'm biased
towards flooding though, here's my design:
https://github.com/jtremback/reactive-payment-routing.

DHT routing is a very interesting concept, but most implementations are not
able to find optimal routes. CJDNS, the only active DHT routing (not DHT
storage) project I am aware of just switched to
<https://cryptpad.fr/pad/#/1/view/XnDofWIIasrwcpgQUcFWKg/Vh1pZR0tVZgUT2I9Lec4coqTdn0mwRuA+lWH5klSSfw/>
centralized routing because DHT wasn't working.