Re: Pathfinding and data collection (left-over question from the workshop)

Connectors may want to charge additional fees on top of the spread they
make if the payment goes through just to cover the cost of locking up their
liquidity. If a payment is rolled back the connector may have incurred some
cost or missed out on facilitating other payments with that money that was
escrowed. They may also want to discourage people or potential attackers
from tying up too much of their liquidity in payments that may fail by
charging for the service of escrowing the funds. Connectors could even set
the fee to lock up funds higher and then "refund" some of it by charging a
lower spread. In any case, I would expect these fees to be orders of
magnitude less than the value of the payment and if connectors can figure
out other ways of handling these risks they may make themselves more
competitive by not charging.

For ILP money must be escrowed for a specific transaction because we
wouldn't want a connector to offer to facilitate lots of payments and then
be unable to if all of them go through. Connectors could get credit from
their ledgers if they want to be able to facilitate more payments than they
have in deposits with the ledger.