Re: Ripple protocol changes for Interledger support

From: Evan Schwartz <evan@ripple.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:46:39 -0800
To: Steven Roose <stevenroose@gmail.com>
Cc: Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>
The main requirement for a ledger to be ILP-capable is supporting
cryptographic escrow, which is done in RCL using Suspended Payments.

To quote nikb from the XRPChat forum
<http://www.xrpchat.com/topic/494-we-need-a-standardised-online-protocol-for-payments-ripple/#comment-3236>
:

> Suspended payments, introduced with this commit:
> https://github.com/ripple/rippled/commit/3f0eacf5e70c43715a1e726d7a228d0ee307ee4e.
> Basically, a suspended payment "sequesters" the specified amount of XRP in
> its own ledger entry until either the suspended payment is completed (and
> the XRP is delivered to the destination) or canceled (and the XRP is
> returned to sender).
>
> I guess you could say it's similar to escrow, but this is done directly in
> the ledger, without the involvement of a third party.

The SusPay feature has been implemented and is available in the altnet but
not yet on the production network.

--
Evan Schwartz | Software Architect | Ripple
[image: ripple.com] <http://ripple.com>