Re: Roll call / intro

Super idea!

I'm Stefan Thomas and fell in love with Bitcoin back in 2010. The current
relationship status would be "it's complicated." There are a lot of people
in the community I highly respect, but sometimes I wish there was a little
less zealotry. I'm also coming from a libertarian perspective and I think
that we know a lot less than we think we do.

My first Bitcoin-related project was WeUseCoins, where we made a video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo> which ended up becoming the
most popular introductory video for Bitcoin. Based on that experience I
wanted to work on Bitcoin usability and created the first JavaScript
implementation of Bitcoin called BitcoinJS <http://bitcoinjs.org/>.

Around that time I realized that I knew very little about how the financial
industry actually works. I joined Ripple in 2012 and working with banks has
been incredibly humbling. Also, Ripple's perspective was less about custody
and more about connectivity. I.e. rather than thinking about how to track
the ownership of assets, we were forced to think about how to connect all
the different custody systems already out there.

Finally, in 2014 we started to get involved with Manu and the W3C Web
Payments work which again shifted my thinking. Standards require simplicity
and abstraction, which is a very different way of thinking than the
crypto-focused engineering that lead to the giant monolithic binaries that
underpin many crypto-currencies. There are a lot of lessons to be learned
from the Web and other standards efforts that have come before. And that
road has lead me here. I'm very excited about the diversity in this group
and the ideas that are going to come out of that!