Re: Several event types are too discrete to be useful for touchscreen input

Thanks for your response Rich.  Inline.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Can you tell us if the new Pointers working group will be addressing any
> scrolling?

The pointers WG will focus just on low-level events (down/move/up, etc.)
and so won't include scrolling or, I think, anything else covered by Indie
UI.  In fact, it's an explicit non-goal in the charter (
http://www.w3.org/2012/pointerevents/charter/charter-proposed.html).

>  These events have been targeted for discreet events but if you think we
> are deficient on scrolling then we should investigate the gaps and see if
> they can be addressed in 1.0.

It depends on the answer to my question about the intended scope.  Is the
'manipulate a map with a touch screen' scenario important, or something we
should cut as out-of-scope?  To support it I think we'd need at least:
 - deltaX / deltaY values (probably in CSS px) for scroll events
 - zoom events with a precise origin location and scale (again probably in
CSS px)
We'd probably also need some sort of start/end events so the app can tell
when the user is done panning/zooming.

If this is too far removed with the other goals of Indie UI events then
perhaps we should call that scenario out-of-scope.