Re: Consensus Call re the IndieUI TF Work Statement

On 12-07-11 11:33 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Well, the challenge will be defining how these events bubble in a
> standard W3C methodology. Are you suggesting this would be an
> implementation and that we write theme in an abstract way so that
> native platforms could adopt them?

Yes, I am saying that how the DOM and UA's deal with events is an
implementation detail.  I made a comparison to desktop UIs.  I did not
mean to imply that we try and implement the specifics of desktop event
handling in the Web.  (Although, even here there are conceptual
similarities.  Some desktop toolkits bubble events up a tree data
structure.  Others use a broadcast/listener implementation.)  I meant to
consider desktop UIs as informative at a conceptual level.

Still, this raises an interesting point:  if it turns out that, say, a
scrolling event can't be implemented with current W3C technology, then
there are two ways to go.  One way is to give up on having a scroll
event.  Another is to modify W3C technology in order to accommodate the
event.  Which way it goes depends on how important it is to support that
particular event.

As for native platform adoption, I was thinking it went the other way.
That is, desktop (and tablet, and laptop) UIs should inform Web app UIs,
since desktop event taxonomies are richer than the Web's.  However, it
could well turn out that there are events or UIs that are unique to the
web that desktops would adopt.

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
              - J. D. Klaun -