Re: Proposal from HbbTV

Dear Brendan,

On 2014-09-29, at 22:01 , Brendan Long <B.Long@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> On 09/29/2014 10:50 AM, Alexander Adolf wrote:
>> A video/mp2t resource retrieved form a server over HTTP doesn't have any metadata attached to it (at least not in the current model; maybe it should have in the future). A UA can just download it. To figure out what format the inband metadata inside the file has, additional information is needed. Either new mime types could be defined (e.g. video/mp2t-dvb), or some sort of geolocation information is needed (W3C Geolocation API or by IP address geolocation (but which has limitations)). Hence my approach of hinting to the geographic location.
> Using more-specific MIME types seems like a better idea than trying to
> guess. Geolocation won't necessarily always be available, and it might
> not work correctly (say a user saves a video on a tablet, then goes on
> vacation).

Thanks for the vacation use case. It's a good one, as it very clearly shows the limitations of heuristics. Already happened many times to me that I couldn't continue reading an article on a newspaper's site after leaving the plane ("this content is not available in your country").

The MIME type solution would be elegant, as it uses a mechanism (HTTP cache) that is already implemented ad well tested in the infrastructure, and only requires new code in the UA to implement a new feature.

Many thanks and cheers,

  --alexander