Re: AR Web

I'd have to say - this has already been tried. About 10 years ago, there
was a browser (Australian company, but I can't remember the name) that
specifically levitated standard HTML elements into the third dimension.
Went nowhere.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Josh Carpenter <joshcarpenter@google.com>
wrote:

> > Is it HTML elements in VR that is dead, or decomposable content in a
> regular web page? (or both?)
>
> Specifically we were investigating the ability to  take a traditional 2D
> HTML/CSS page, loaded in a XR viewing context (eg VR HMD), and
> progressively enhance it into a 3D composition, by using styles (eg 3D
> transforms) to position flat ements in 3D space, beyond the bounds of the
> parent window.
>
> The was part of a broader push to explore composable, declarative XR web
> layout standards. Distinct from imperative WebXR / WebGL.
>
> It’s not “dead” per se, as it wasn’t ever really alive. Aside from some
> very cool prototypes built on Firefox by my MozVR colleagues back in 2015
> (code that, AFAIK, was never merged to master).
>
> Rather, in the past six months our squad has deemed this approach probably
> too hard to be worth pursuing, relative to other approaches closer to what
> we’re talking about in this thread.
>
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 8:15 PM Rik Cabanier <rcabanier@magicleap.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 2:54 PM Josh Carpenter <joshcarpenter@google.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You might find those links I posted in my initial response interesting,
>>> John. I was for a while very enamored with the idea of being able to break
>>> page layouts into compositions in 3D space by leveraging CSS 3D transforms.
>>> At Moz and Google we built some prototypes that, to my satisfaction at
>>> least, demonstrated that the approach was easy for a relatively experienced
>>> web designer/dev to work with, and surprisingly compelling/fun. Turn a
>>> Vimeo video into a 60 ft screen in VR with a few lines of CSS :) The
>>> framework that Diego Marcos and team built to help enable to experiments at
>>> Moz was actually a forerunner of A-Frame in some ways. But more recently,
>>> based on cumulative discussions with browser engine people, we’ve come to
>>> believe that approach would be extremely hard to make work in existing
>>> engines, at web scale, and that the much better place to start is
>>> composable models in 2D compositions. That’s not to say the dream of HTML
>>> elements in 3D space is dead, but more back burnered, at least in my team’s
>>> thinking.
>>>

>> Is it HTML elements in VR that is dead, or decomposable content in a
>> regular web page? (or both?)
>>
>> I can see that bringing HTML in VR would have a lot of landmines around
>> security and privacy but decomposable content should not be affected.

=================
*Dr. Pete Markiewicz*
*Email:* pindiespace@gmail.com
*Portfolio:* http://plyojump.com
*Github:* http://github.com/pindiespace
*Linkedin:* http://linkedin.com/in/pindiespace
=================

*My "Ux in VR" presentations on Google Docs (note you can comment)WebVR 1.0
APIhttps://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13a29m0SbpTeItFP8fjrSoKNb7nsjAd4DC9lWnokWEfg/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13a29m0SbpTeItFP8fjrSoKNb7nsjAd4DC9lWnokWEfg/edit?usp=sharing>Sustainable
Ux in
VRhttps://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OTXaz3RuV0HWgM754PRMUC7d2KYVHH974s5hnAt53wk/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OTXaz3RuV0HWgM754PRMUC7d2KYVHH974s5hnAt53wk/edit?usp=sharing>Sustainable
virtual design blog:* http://sustainablevirtualdesign.wordpress.com
*Sustainability template:* http://greenboilerplate.com
*Sustainable Ux in Virtual Reality for Sustainable Ux 2017 (narrated): *
*https://youtu.be/bU0tz05lcBw <https://youtu.be/bU0tz05lcBw>*
=================
*Buy my book! *- Millennials and the Popular Culture
*Lifecourse:* http://www.lifecourse.com/store/catalog/lca/mpc.html
*Amazon Author Page:*
http://www.amazon.com/Pete-Markiewicz/e/B0069VZ7BG/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_2
*On that page, see my DARPA Grand Challenge 2005 entry video, "Team
Robomonster":*
*Team Robomonster *(DARPA 2005 Grand Challenge):
http://robotsthatjump.wordpress.com/category/team-robomonster/
*Indiespace *(1st to sell downloaded music, March 1994):
http://www.indiespace.com. Also see http://archive.org under
"Kspace.com" 1996 for our original site.