Re: [url] Requests for Feedback (was Feedback from TPAC)

* Sam Ruby wrote:
>At a minimum, I would like to know whether or not the IETF is OK with
>the goals:
>
>https://specs.webplatform.org/url/webspecs/develop/#goals

At the moment that section reads, through W3C's html2txt service,

  Goals

     The URL standard takes the following approach towards making
     URLs fully interoperable:
       * Align RFC 3986 and RFC 3987 with contemporary
         implementations and obsolete them in the process. (E.g.
         spaces, other "illegal" code points, query encoding,
         equality, canonicalization, are all concepts not entirely
         shared, or defined.) URL parsing needs to become as solid
         as HTML parsing. [34][RFC3986] [35][RFC3987]
       * Standardize on the term URL. URI and IRI are just
         confusing. In practice a single algorithm is used for both
         so keeping them distinct is not helping anyone. URL also
         easily wins the [36]search result popularity contest.
       * Supplanting [37]Origin of a URI [sic]. [38][RFC6454]
       * Define URL’s existing JavaScript API in full detail and
         add enhancements to make it easier to work with. Add a new
         [39]URL object as well for URL manipulation without usage
         of HTML elements. (Useful for JavaScript worker
         environments.)

     As the editors learn more about the subject matter the goals
     might increase in scope somewhat.

I do not understand what is meant by the parenthetical in the first
point, neither does the last sentence seem meaningful to me. The second
point seems tolerable. I have no idea what the third point means, and
find the unexplained use of `[sic]` inappropriate. With respect to the
fourth point, documenting web browser APIs is, in doubt, just writing
down facts; I do not see how "the IETF" might not be OK with someone
doing that.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/