Re: [url] Requests for Feedback (was Feedback from TPAC)

On 2014-12-06 01:31, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Sam Ruby wrote:
>> At a minimum, I would like to know whether or not the IETF is OK with
>> the goals:
>>
>> https://specs.webplatform.org/url/webspecs/develop/#goals
>
> At the moment that section reads, through W3C's html2txt service,
>
>    Goals

>         * Standardize on the term URL. URI and IRI are just
>           confusing. In practice a single algorithm is used for both
>           so keeping them distinct is not helping anyone. URL also
>           easily wins the [36]search result popularity contest.

This ignores the fact that RFC 3986 defines URI as the superset of URNs
and URLs. (And yes, some schemes can be both).

I understand that the browser people are not very interested in URNs,
but many people in the IETF are. Pretending that they do not exist and
that it makes sense to call them URLs will IMHO not work very well.

Best regards, Julian