Re: comments on draft-newman-i18n-comparator-05.txt

The goal and work so far is good. I'll need to read the document over
more carefully, but one quick point. The specification should make very
sure that some formal properties are observed.

 > Since ordering is normally used to sort a list of items, "error" is
not a useful return value from the ordering function. Strings with
errors that prevent the sorting algorithm from functioning correctly
should sort to the end of the list. Thus if the first string is invalid
while the second string is valid, the result will be "+1". If the second
string is invalid while the first string is valid, the result will be
"-1". If both strings are invalid, the result SHOULD match the result
from the "i;octet" collation.

This does not yet require that the order relation MUST be transitive,
which is an absolute requirement.

Similarly:

Equality MUST be an equivalence relationship (reflexive, symmetric, and
transitive).

Ordering MUST establish a total order (that is, < is transitive and
trichotomous), and must be consistent with the Equality relationship.

Matching MUST be defined such that if there is a match, the substring
meets the equality criteria. Note: there are some real gotchas in
matching, see http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/#Searching

Also, I haven't looked it over in detail on this point, but with
reference to attributes, I'd point people to the CLDR specification for
the kinds of things that are needed.

http://unicode.org/cldr/data/docs/web/tr35.html#%3Ccollation%3E

Mark