Re: comments on draft-newman-i18n-comparator-05.txt

Mark Davis writes:
> > First, I was using the word protocol in the draft's sense, which is so
> > wide that I had protocol for lunch today ;)
>
> If so, then it needs to be clear from the text that 'protocol' is
> using such a broad sense; examples would help.

To me, the present text is clear. Although now that you say it, perhaps
it's a little easy to overlook, stuck in the middle of boilerplate.
I'll make it more prominent. Thanks.

> On the issue of charsets: the biggest problem currently with using
> charsets other than Unicode is that common IANA identifiers for
> charsets are ambiguous (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/japanese-xml/#ambiguity_of_yen). So two
> implementations that they are getting the same results from
> comparison may not be because they are using variant mapping tables.

You will not catch me touching that ;) I'll fight tooth and nail to keep
other charsets out of the present draft. IMO: It must be possible to
define collators that use other charsets. But there is absolutely no
need to define such collators.

Arnt