Re: comments on draft-newman-i18n-comparator-05.txt

Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org> writes:
>Equality MUST be an equivalence relationship (reflexive, symmetric, and
>transitive).
>
>Ordering MUST establish a total order (that is, < is transitive and
>trichotomous), and must be consistent with the Equality relationship.

These would appear to outlaw a collation for comparing or ordering
floating-point numbers including NaNs ala IEEE 754 and its successors.

While collations that lack the above properties can be tricky to use
correctly, I would be leery of outlawing them given the existence proof
of widely used systems that lack them.

Philip Guenther