+ minutes of 2020-09-15 meeting - Re: Sharing the BLM statement feedback with the AC

Hi Léonie, all,

With clarification that the IDCG’s next step is to “recommend to the W3C Director” (to postpone publishing the statement), I have added the video to the online minutes of our dialogue:

  https://www.w3.org/2020/09/15-idcg-minutes.html#t01

(the text version is copied at the bottom.)

Coralie

> On 15 Sep 2020, at 17:56 , Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com> wrote:
>
> Everyone,
>
> On today's call it was agreed that we would share Kim's video with the AC and let them know that we plan to [recommend to the W3C Director to] postpone publishing the proposed statement.
>
> Coralie, is it possible to host the video (plus captioned version) in W3C space before we share it?
>
> Thanks
> Léonie.
>
> --
> Director @TetraLogical
> https://tetralogical.com

Text version of the minutes:
----------------------------

                              IDCG Meeting

   [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.
      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-idcg/2020Sep/0021.html
      [3] https://www.w3.org/2020/09/15-idcg-irc

Attendees
   Present
          Annette_Greiner, Barb_Hochgesang, Coralie_Mercier,
          Dan_Appelquist, Jeff_Jaffe, Judy_Brewer, Kim_Crayton,
          Léonie_Watson, Marisa_DeMeglio, Ralph_Swick,
          Tess_O'connor, Tobie_Langel, Tzviya_Siegman, Wendy_Reid
   Regrets
          chaals
   Chair
          Léonie
   Scribe
          jeff

Contents
    1. [4]Video
    2. [5]Dialogue with Kim Crayton

Meeting minutes

   <koalie> [6]Previous (2020-09-01)

      [6] https://www.w3.org/2020/09/01-idcg-minutes.html

  Video

   Kim Crayton has generously reviewed the W3C BLM statement and
   has provided feedback via video:

   IFRAME:
   [7]https://app.streamfizz.live/embed/ckf46za96uet80731fjmy9hyb

      [7] https://app.streamfizz.live/embed/ckf46za96uet80731fjmy9hyb

  Dialogue with Kim Crayton

   Leonie: Background leading up to this meeting
   … this meeting is to figure out next steps
   … Kim, can you summarize your feedback?

   Dan: I watched Kim's video
   … urge everyone else to listen and be receptive

   Kim_Crayton: Tobie reached out 2 weeks ago
   … feedback on BLM statement
   … I offered to do that pro bono due to W3C's global influence
   … introduces me to new spaces
   … I was surprised that this homogeneous group would reach out
   … my style may not comfort you
   … the statement on its surface was not bad
   … but it was not a BLM statement
   … so the title did not fit
   … not surprising, no black lives in this group
   … white people need to stop speaking for black lives
   … I was frustrated by your process
   … context is loss in your email chain
   … how do you get anything done?
   … is that the best you can do?
   … pretty crappy
   … I told Tobie I need to talk to you

   <koalie> [Tess arrives]

   Kim_Crayton: I decided on video so nothing lost in translation
   … To say "we support people" it's not bad
   … if it is supporting a specific group, it is harmful to bring
   other things into that statement
   … BLM + blah blah blah is crap
   … Also, anti-blackness is global
   … not just US
   … even where there are no black people
   … anti-blackness is everywhere
   … that's why the movement went global in the middle of a
   pandemic
   … tech is not neutral
   … intention without strategy is chaos
   … that is where this statement is leading
   … I commend you for stopping
   … lack of inclusion is a risk
   … crisis management issue
   … most companies have nothing in place
   … engaging in safe ways is a crisis management issue
   … white folks feeling a portion of what it is like
   … this is white supremacy eating on its host
   … you might have cared; but not enough
   … the fact that you are late doesn't matter
   … you are engaging becauses it causes harm to you
   … you don't like how you feel
   … only seeing white faces - that's a problem
   … The violence statement was a red light
   … people said we need to stop
   … BLM, but with conditions?
   … promotes a racist trope
   … you should be thankful that black people have not rioted and
   taken over your cities
   … Blacks were not considered people
   … the fact that we don't run down white folks says something
   about our humanity

   Leonie: Comments? Questions?

   Barbara: I live in Portland
   … totally relate
   … a very white city struggling to move forward
   … I am more action oriented
   … if you were us - what are the 2, 3 things you recommend to
   move forward

   Kim: Portland is a great example of what is problematic
   … they do all of this stuff
   … but they are very racist
   … and have not owned up
   … white folks think they are helping and are doing harm
   … I'm not fixing this for free
   … you need to decide if you want a solidarity statement or a
   BLM statement
   … you don't need me for the former
   … just remove the BLM title
   … if you want a BLM statement
   … (and thereby create a template for others)
   … and dealing with the issues in tech more generally
   … then I can help

   Judy: I'm on W3C staff
   … I would support paying a consultant
   … some working on statements, some working on actions
   … W3C is a key influence point in the tech field
   … if W3C can develop some actions to improve
   … and help others to do the same
   … it would be a tiny piece in the right direction
   … some members have an interest in W3C helping with that
   process
   … pull together resources and actions
   … you said you don't want to provide free advice
   … so I don't know what else to say.

   Kim: I saw your strategies in the letter
   … they don't apply depending on your path
   … it is moot since it is not a BLM statements
   … as a consultant I can both draft a statement and build a
   playbook
   … white folks should not do this by themselves,
   … but I need them involved as a white shield
   … without interpretation and change of nuance
   … life is full of gray
   … playbook needs to be iterative

   Tzviya: Thanks Kim for the video, etc.
   … assuming we have a BLM statement - can you point us to some
   companies who have done this well?

   Kim: A billionaire reached out to me
   … he was going to give the money away
   … <provides the name> (not scribed since it is personal)
   … wanted to give money to black businesses
   … anti-racist education tech foundation
   … told him that this does not exist
   … I've gotten so many calls
   … this is new
   … this doesn't exist
   … think of yourselves as pioneers
   … we get to counter the narratives of companies who are
   lobbying
   … will result in equity
   … people are thinking about it; but noone is doing it
   … let's get ahead of the harm
   … provide alternatives

   Wendy: Your feedback was amazing
   … I had written the first draft of the statment
   … I'm Canadian
   … that's part of why I included indigeneous
   … fused with BLM in Canada

   Kim: Indeed, some are trying to annihilate indigeneous people

   Wendy: I don't want to forget that group
   … as a group we need to discuss direction
   … so BLM v all lives matter - this is screwed up

   Kim: Consider this a free coaching session
   … You made a binary statement
   … We all have a unique experiences
   … even indigeneous cultures have anti-blackness
   … all sorts of folks pass as white: indigeneous, Jewish
   … that's the binary thinking that white folks have
   … you can have multiple statements. But they need to be
   separate
   … that is why I told Judy that this is not about people with
   disabilities
   … you need to think in grays

   Leonie: We extended our statement because this is not always
   binary
   … people of color with disabilities; LGBTQ
   … how do we handle that

   Kim: Here you intended a BLM statement
   … so you dilute that by bringing in the other things
   … white people have never been left out
   … you must stop gatekeeping

   Annette: Can we share the video with the AC

   Kim: Please
   … don't translate for me

   Annette: In terms of a solidarity statement
   … is that worse than no statement?

   Kim: Not for me to decide

   Annette: What would it be?

   Kim: Worthless

   Leonie: To whom?

   Kim: Who would the statement benefit

   Leonie: The intention is that it would be helpful for people
   from marginalized communities

   Kim: Intention without strategy is chaos
   … how would the statement help?
   … that's my view

   Leonie: Well, Annette had asked about a solidarity statement
   … off of that you said it would be worthless
   … and I said why - it is not worthless to me as part of one
   marginalized community

   Kim: It is worthless for the long term

   Kim: Does not help black lives
   … everyone has a solidarity statement
   … does nothing for me
   … it is the status quo
   … do you want to stick with that?

   Leonie: We as a CG have some decisions to make
   … we have clear advice from Kim
   … publishing the statement in the current form does not support
   BLM
   … anyone think that is a mischaracterization?

   Wendy: I agree we should not publish in the current state
   … it was not my intention to cause more harm than good
   … W3C can be a leader
   … but we need help
   … we also noted the lack of black people
   … (and often the lack of women at W3C)
   … I want us to be a leader
   … but I want it to be the right way
   … I want a BLM statement
   … that requires changing the wording massively

   <dka_> +1 to listening to Kim's feedback and to publishing a
   proper BLM statement.

   Wendy: doing it right is better even if later

   Kim: Don't worry about the time
   … we started this thing
   … we stepped on the breaks because we did not want to cause
   harm
   … so we decided to create a strategy

   Annette: We need to do more than reword it
   … we need to rethink our strategy
   … make W3C more black

   Kim: Needs to be an international black lives matter statement
   … says you are thoughtful
   … recognize a global problem

   Tzviya: We also discussed an equity review board
   … early stages
   … should we shift focus to recruiting more people
   … shift our energies to actual actions
   … sad that we are non-diverse
   … big problem that this is a white group

   Kim: I don't use terms like fair since that is decided by
   people in power
   … I don't talk about equality
   … give two families $100 for groceries
   … one with farms and quality food; a car; kids in day care and
   they have choices
   … the other lives in a food desert. Most go to convenience
   store. They don't have a call.
   … it is not equal
   … need to supplement family that does not have a car.
   … money for taxis, baby sitter
   … so they have same quality of food
   … equal ability to prepare the food
   … if people don't understand from the perspective of lived
   experiences?
   … tech loves qualitative data
   … quantitative data helps experience

   Leonie: We all think the review board needs people of color

   Kim: We recruit these people

   <Ralph> [I heard qualitative vs quantitative the other way
   'round]

   Kim: but we fall flat on retention

   <jeff> [Ralph, feel free to correct the record]

   Kim: Looking at these white faces - you failed.

   Leonie: In a community that is almost white, how do we make it
   more welcoming
   … we need to take responsibility

   <Ralph> [others might wish to record how they heard those
   remarks]

   Leonie: that's what this community is doing.

   <jeff> [You can provide a responsible opposing view]

   Leonie: We have almost no people of color.

   Kim: You don't know any black people?

   Leonie: We do, but we don't want to impose on people's time

   Kim: But you are willing to fix a problem that you don't
   understand?

   Tzviya: We don't want to tell black people what to do
   … we don't select the people who join W3C

   Kim: That this is moot.
   … you don't have the power.
   … I'm hearing excuses
   … you have not taken ownership
   … you have not created a space where black people would feel
   safe

   Annette: Here is how the AC works
   … when an organization joins, they are the ones that nominate
   an AC rep

   Kim: So that needs to change
   … where is the power?
   … why do it here if you don't have the power.
   … push it up to where the power is

   Wendy: I'm not an AC rep
   … we are a CG
   … we have some status
   … but we don't have the power
   … the CEO is listening
   … my company is global
   … why can't they send a diverse set of representatives
   … we should demand that our members send their best and most
   diverse candidates
   … I am giving an AC presentation
   … I will ask them about that
   … as a CG we should decide what we want to do
   … the companies have diverse workforces

   Kim: So Jeff is the CEO
   … that is why I talk to leadership
   … I have a finite bandwidth
   … I don't like being translated
   … people without power get burned out
   … people in leadership need to advocate
   … needs to come from the top
   … communicated as an important initiative
   … but I don't work with focus without power
   … leadership needs to be at the table

   Jeff: That's why I'm here

   Judy: I wanted to give some examples
   … with regard to inclusion of women
   … over decades we kept hearing that W3C cannot do anything
   about it
   … must rely on AC
   … we pushed back
   … start talking about standards career path
   … then our membership started sending more engineers
   … then women said it was uncomfortable
   … then made it more welcoming
   … similar thing happened with disability
   … good is some areas
   … but it took many years to recruit, mentor, encourage, find
   people with disabilities
   … still working to be more welcoming
   … we are in early stage for racial justice

   Kim: In your efforts for women and disabilities
   … you don't have black people
   … still get left out
   … women becomes white women
   … LGBTQ becomes white LGBTQ
   … disabilities become white disabilities
   … I'm focused on the most vulnerable

   Barbara: In my large company I see no effort
   … I appreciate Judy's work
   … but I've not seen it
   … so is this a focus
   … there seem to be no teeth or action

   Kim: Without Jeff signing off I won't be doing it.

   Leonie: I propose that we share the video feedback to the AC
   … and recommend that we not publish the statement as is
   … we will get back to them once we consider other steps

   <dka_> +1

   <tzviya> +1

   <marisa> +1

   <annette_g> +1

   Leonie: since IDCG needs to rethink the plan

   <hober> +1

   <wendyreid> +1

   <BarbH> +1

   <jeff> +1 with coordination with W3M and the current WBS survey

   <wendyreid> coralie: +1

   several additional verbal: +1
   … thanks Kim for all that you offered and shared

   Kim: Thanks for having me

   <BarbH> Great job. Learned a lot

   Kim: you are bold to have invited me

    Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
    [8]scribe.perl version 123 (Tue Sep 1 21:19:13 2020 UTC).

      [8] https://w3c.github.io/scribe2/scribedoc.html

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/