Re: Agenda for the ID CG meeting

I have a new suggestion (sorry for increasing the length of the list)
that comes from Quncy Brown, co-founder of blackcomputeHER.org and lead
signatory of "An open letter and call to action to the computing
community from Black in Computing and Our Allies." She wrote this
thoughtful introduction, which mentions the idea of an ERB, equity
review board:

https://medium.com/@quincykbrown/on-being-black-in-computing-during-these-days-54e049d56987

I think the concept of an ERB could be embodied within W3C as a group
that conducts horizontal review on all our output, including charters.
Such a review could look not only at language, rooting out words like
"blacklist" and "whitelist" and similar language that may divide people,
but also analyze new technologies for potential harm along racial or
diversity lines, such as algorithms that may discriminate. My hope is
that we can make some meaningful adjustments to our process that will
outlast the current elevation of concern.

-Annette

--
Annette Greiner (she)
NERSC Data and Analytics Services