Re: Call for NNBSP replacement character in Mongolian Block

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 10:05:13 +0100
To: Greg Eck <greck@postone.net>
Cc: "public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org" <public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org>, "Deborah W. Anderson" <dwanders@sonic.net>
Hi Greg,

> What does the statement mean " as long as it has no compatibility decomposition to Space or any other character"?

NNBSP has a compatibility decomposition to U+0020 space, which means
that when you apply Normalization forms NFKC or NFKD to it (or
Mongolian text containing it), NBSP is converted to U+0020.  This, in
my opinion is a serious flaw, so if the new character were to be
defined as a space we would want to ensure that it has no
compatibility decomposition, but remains the same character under all
normalization forms.  However, I think that defining the new character
as a format character rather than a space character is much better as
it formats the characters on either side of it, and is not simply a
space character.

Andrew