From: Richard Wordingham [mailto:richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:15 PM
To: public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org
Subject: Re: Mongolian NNBSP [I18N-ACTION-458]

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 09:33:36 +0000
Greg Eck <greck@postone.net<mailto:greck@postone.net>> wrote:

> If we went with the ExtendNumLet, is there a normative file that holds
> the data values - or are these changes that need to be implemented by
> the rendering engines themselves - such as MS Universal Shaping Engine
> or Harfbuzz?

There is a normative file, auxiliary/WordBreakProperty.txt in the Unicode Character Database.

The Word_Break property should have nothing to do with rendering, and I would not expect the rendering engines to pay any attention to them.
Is this a problem for gender-sensitive shaping?

The Word_Break property is for splitting text into word, such as advancing through text word-by-word and spell-checking. I get the impression that the Mongolian script is one where there is great need of a spell-checker, because with a normal font one can't check what one wrote.

Richard.