Re: Mongolian NNBSP [I18N-ACTION-458]

On 1 August 2015 at 11:14, Richard Wordingham
<richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 09:33:36 +0000
> Greg Eck <greck@postone.net> wrote:
>
>> If we went with the ExtendNumLet, is there a normative file that
>> holds the data values - or are these changes that need to be
>> implemented by the rendering engines themselves - such as MS
>> Universal Shaping Engine or Harfbuzz?
>
> There is a normative file, auxiliary/WordBreakProperty.txt in the
> Unicode Character Database.
>
> The Word_Break property should have nothing to do with rendering, and I
> would not expect the rendering engines to pay any attention to them.

I agree with Richard.  I thought that rendering engines were already
correctly rendering suffixes after NNBSP, and that the issue was with
some editors and word processors (notably Word) incorrectly segmenting
Mongolian text for word counting, word selection and word navigation
purposes.  If text-processing applications rely on
WordBreakProperty.txt for word breaking then they should work after
the change is introduced; if not, then it is up to users to report the
behaviour as a bug to the individual software vendors.

Andrew