Re: NNBSP Impact

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 17:05:39 +0900
To: Greg Eck <greck@postone.net>, "jrmt@almas.co.jp" <jrmt@almas.co.jp>, 'Badral S.' <badral@bolorsoft.com>, "public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org" <public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org>
On 2015/07/08 14:56, Greg Eck wrote:

> Can anyone comment on the use of the NNBSP in languages other than Mongolian - such as French or Russian?

Here is what I found on French Wikipedia
(https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espace_fine_insécable).

Assuming not everybody on this list reads French, here's a very rough
translation:

Narrow Non-breaking space

A narrow non-breaking space is a typographic character that is rendered
like a non-breaking space (i.e. a space that is inserted between two
pieces that must not be separated by a automatic potential line break),
but narrower.

The French style guide (typographic rules?) recommends a narrow
non-breaking space before double punctuation signs (semicolon, question
mark, exclamation mark, but not colon) as well as as a separator between
groups of characters (separator of groups of three digits for numbers
above a thousand, separator without value simplifying the reading of
phone number or identification codes, etc.). However, because input is
not always easy, in France, the use of a space is often tolerated as a
replacement, whereas in Canada and elsewhere, omission is the rule.

Hope this helps.

Regards,   Martin.