Re: Proposal: not having mapping for the translatability and the dir category

Felix Sasaki wrote:

> I like dirty, but useful design :)

Hmm. This is what we do as individuals. When we are
working for a standards organisation, I'd argue that
dirty design will always come back to make trouble
further down the line.

I would not burn at the stake for this, but
I think that simple designs have patterns which
apply across the board. Having category A
useable in one way, and category B work in two ways,
seems odd. But I take Yves' point that it
is possible to draw a syntactic distinction
between information categories with enumerated
values, and those with unrestricted text.

> - On general importance of "mapping": I am afraid that we are loosing
> our perspective. IMO it should not be "let's describe everything with
> equal importance, which is possible with ITS?", but rather "let's
> concentrate on core features". Mapping is not a core feature (IMO)

If it's not a core feature, then lets not do it at all.
Leave it for version 2, and see if it is really needed :-}

--
Sebastian Rahtz

*Open Source and Sustainability*
10-12 April 2006, Oxford