RE: Conformance Section

Hi everyone,

I definitely see conformance related to two entities:

1. content (e.g. a DTD which implements ITS markup)
2. code (e.g. a processor which computes ITS selection)

This, from my understanding corresponds to

1-FS schema conformance, which encompasses reading and writing
2-FS a processor which processes the full semantics of selections

I am not sure, however, that "schema conformance" is the best
way to talk about content-related conformance. Wouldn't it be
advantageous to destinguish content-related conformance along the
following lines:

A. Markup
B. Document types
C. Module implementations
D. Documents

One way to come to grips with code-related conformance might
be to destinguish between

A. Non-interpreting processor
B. Interpreting processor

The latter would act according to the semantics of the processed
ITS markup (a translation editor may for example only turn sections
with information of "its:translate='yes'" into translatable segments).

A cross-classification for conformance (ie. one which is not based
on the content/code destinction) is related to conformance levels
(see Francois' requirement). From my understanding one possibility
for a definition of these levels would be the following:

- list all ITS data categories
- list all selection mechanisms
- list all default mechanisms
- ...

Then, come up with some levels (e.g. level 1, level 2 and level 3) and
say which of the list elements (see above) need to be available for
conformance with a certain level. Example for code conformance:

Level 1: implemented support for "its:translate" without explicit
selector
Level 2: ...

Best regards,
Christian