Re: A workaround for Conref?

Hello Paul,

Paul Prescod wrote:
> Can you please remind me what you said you are doing for XInclude?

We say that we rely on the information which is in the infoset of a
document. If somebody uses XInclude in his document to produce the
infoset, that is fine with us. However, we do not force people who
implement ITS to foresee XInclude or other (i.e. conref) functionality
which changes / augments the infoset .
The statement related to this is at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-its-20060518/#def-selector :
"Selection relies on the information which is given in the XML
Information Set [XML Infoset]. ITS applications MAY implement inclusion
mechanisms such as XInclude or DITA's [DITA 1.0] conref."

> Obviously the situations are analogous so that would be a starting
> point. Another question:  can ITS processing take advantage of stuff in
> the DTD like entities and fixed attributes? This is important for
> handling DITA specialization.

No, ITS currently can't handle that. I see two possibilities here:

a) Say that if there is a DTD available, ITS "selection" MUST be applied
 after validation, taking entities and fixed attributes into account.
b) Say nothing and leave the question to the individual implementations
(similar to our handling of XInclude / conref ).

From discussions in the past, it seems to me that the ITS working group
would favor b) - but that might hinder ITS adoption for DITA ...

- Felix