RE: Allowed Characters

I would say probably both. For example, an XML document describing the resource
for a printer control panel that can only display single-byte based font, would
use this to restrict the element holding the message at the schema level. But it
could be handy to have it available at the document instance level to mark up
the specific entry of an element usually not restricted (for example, error
messages in an application that work with different device, one of them being
the control panel.
The first case would probably be much more used than the second.

Cheers,
-yves