Re: Term identification

Hi François,

I have found the following definitions based on work by Sue Ellen Wright
of Kent State University. Sue Ellen is an acknowledged expert in the
field of Terminology:

Terminologies (sometimes called special languages or technolects)
comprise the vocabulary used by subject experts in every area of
specialized endeavor, from law to engineering to cooking to training a
dog. The terms used in special languages provide the building blocks
from which original technical texts and translations are crafted.
Technical terminology is critical, not only for translators and
technical writers as document producers, but also for teachers of
special languages, who must be able to assist their students in
acquiring the special language knowledge they need to function in a wide
variety of specialized fields.

• A terminology is concept-oriented.  A terminology is documented in a
glossary, not a dictionary. A terminology glossary is organized by
concept, not by linguistic label.

• As such, a term is the word or lexical string used to designate a
single concept in the language of a special subject field.

• A glossary documents the multiple words or lexical strings (in a
single language or in multiple languages) that designate a single concept.

• Because of the concept-orientation the organization of a terminology
system / glossary reflects the knowledge organization of the domain it
describes.

Best Regards,

AZ

--

email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - c/o Mr. A.Zydron

may not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless
explicitly stated otherwise this message is provided for informational
purposes only and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.