Re: Update to MQM documentation and one question

Sorry for not responding sooner. I was out for a few days.

Actually, in thinking about your solution #3, since MQM doesn't define one metric, but rather a method for defining metrics, we could do something like this:

      its:locQualityIssueComment="should be &quot;blech&quot;"
      its:locQualityIssueProfileRef="xxx.xx/bobs-metric.mqm#Monolingual_terminology"
>blah</span>

(Here we know that the the ITS 2.0 type is "terminology" and the MQM type is "Monolingual terminology", so the mapping is contained in the markup. It doesn't define the normative mapping, but rather the actual mapping, which I think is more useful.

In this case the ProfileRef would contain something describing the metric used for the task, with an anchored pointer to the specific issue in that description. If we take this approach we could dispense with having any proprietary inline markup at all for MQM and just use ITS markup, in which case MQM becomes an implementation of ITS 2.0 and the problematic relationship Felix was worried about goes away. But by pushing the complexity to the ProfileRef, MQM can still do everything it needs to.

In this case the URL would not point to the mapping (which is of limited value since we've already declared that "terminology" is the ITS 2.0 mapping in this markup), but rather to the description of the actual metric in use.

This doesn't address the need for overlapping or noncontiguous spans, but taking this approach separates that need from the need to point to MQM issue types. It also doesn't address how the system is supposed to understand what xxx.xx/bobs-metric.mqm is supposed to contain as a description, but that is a problem for MQM, not ITS.

Are you around next week? It might be good to have a conversation about this with those who are interested. There are enough implications that I want to ensure that we do The Right Thing™.

-Arle