Re: ITS rules for OpenDocument

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:14:36 +0900
Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> wrote:

Hi Felix,

> > Segmentation is set at paragraph level, not sentence level. Is that
> > correct?
> >

> Yes. The sentence level is not marked up. I think your tool is looking
> into the content to determine the sentence level, e.g. "NOTE:" in your
> XLIFF output is a separeate <source> unit, although only part of a text
> sequence in a <w:t> element. I am working only on the markup.

Yes, the tool I used to create the XLIFF file uses SRX rules to break
paragraphs.

> > 4) There are too many inline tags in "xliff-file-alice.xml".  Tags that
> > contain the whole segment can, in most cases, be excluded. For example,
> > if the whole segment is enclosed in <bold> tags, you can put the tags
> > in a skeleton and store clean text in the <source> element. Tags that
> > appear before or after the segment and don't affect the text can be
> > exluded from the segment too.
> >

> As I'm not an XLIFF expert, this is hard for me to judge. Maybe we
> should do what Christian proposed at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2008Jul/0033.html
> that is, to separate the decorator from the XLIFF generation , and leave
> the output to real experts like you. What do you think?

I think that ITS decoration must fully define what to extract and what
to leave aside.

If the XLIFF filter has to analyze ITS information and in addition to
that it has to check the content of the decorated text, then it is
wasting time.

Using ITS decoration, from my point of view, is useful for an XLIFF
filter if the filter can rely on the decoration and ignore the marked
text.

If the filter has to analyze the text anyway, then it doesn't make much
sense to use ITS. It would save time and resources to skip the ITS
analysis and work directly on the original document.

Regards,
Rodolfo
--
Rodolfo M. Raya <rmraya@maxprograms.com>