Re: Translation of i18n resources

* Richard Ishida wrote:
>I have been developing a set of instructions for people wanting
>to translate FAQs etc on our site.  Please review and comment:
>
>http://www.w3.org/International/2004/06/translation.html

It would be good to coordinate this closely with the other translation
related materials, specifically

  * http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/#Volunteer
  * http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ.html#translate

I recently discussed the latter with Janet Daly and it turned out that
the IPR FAQ is rather confusing (see the "W3C specs reformatted" thread
on site-comments and www-archive). Here specifically I worry that both
of the above resources require to get explicit permission from W3C to
start a translation. If that is different here it should be reflected
in the other resources to avoid misinterpretation.

In addition to Masayasu's remarks, I would like to add that I do not
really like the __FOO text replacement macros, I first thought one
should use them rather the actual text and that W3C would take care of
the replacement in some way. Looking closer at it, e.g. the __LANG macro
represents "en" and something odd ("___LANG version" stands for "Version
anglaise" which would suggest that __LANG represents "Version"). It
would be better to just give an example and explain what the individual
fields mean, if necessary something like

  $english_version = "Version anglaise"
  $language_tag = "en"

  and then

regards.