RE: [w3 i18n geo] Q&A: Setting Encoding in Web Authoring Applica tion s

Tex,

I have never been able to use TextPad 4.7.1 (I believe latest version) for
any 'Unicode' character input and store...

The Help section from TextPad on this subject is interesting. The "warning"
section sounds like the one for a non-Unicode application that supports only
current Windows Locale settings...
I will try it with a Japanese Locale. But as far as I know, with an en_US
Locale, I can only open and save Latin chars...

/François

[...]
Overview:
TextPad automatically detects 16-bit Unicode and UTF-8 encoded characters,
when opening files. Unicode characters may be in "little endian" (Intel) or
"big endian" (RISC) order, and the order is preserved when a file is saved.

Internally, these files are converted to single or double byte characters
(DBCS), using the locale corresponding to the font script selected for the
document class. For example, if the screen font for the Text document class
is MS Mincho, with the script set to Japanese, Unicode characters in *.TXT
files will be converted to the corresponding DBCS characters in code page
932.

WARNING: This means that it is only possible to edit, without data loss,
files containing characters from the implied code page. Other characters
will be converted into a system default character (normally "?"), if you
confirm that is what you want to do.
[...]