Re: control codes

* Tex Texin wrote:
>The XML spec allows for Unicode characters from space (20) and above and #x9 |
>#xA | #xD. Various existing applications make use of "characters" below 20 for
>various reasons. Since they are not allowed in XML, what is the recommended
>way to represent them?

Depends on why you want to include these "characters". Most of the time
these "characters" appear because people try to include pure binary data
like bitmap images in their XML documents. In this case these are
octets, not characters. The typical recommendation in this case is an
additional encoding or escaping layer like Base64 or hex encoding
(1C5FFF3C...) which are supported in XML Schema (i.e., XML Schema
provides data types for them). The alternative is to avoid inclusion,
but store the data in some external document and reference it from the
XML document. Except for the form feed character, I've not yet heard of
someone who really want's to use these as real characters.