Re: control codes

Hi,
The question was prompted by a user that used binary "2" in his legacy data.
He assigned it some meaning. It is not uncommon.
For example, the 2, could represent a list separator, which won't conflict
with any of the potential data.

He ran into a problem when the data was saved out as XML.

tex

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Tex Texin wrote:
> >The XML spec allows for Unicode characters from space (20) and above and #x9 |
> >#xA | #xD. Various existing applications make use of "characters" below 20 for
> >various reasons. Since they are not allowed in XML, what is the recommended
> >way to represent them?
>
> Depends on why you want to include these "characters". Most of the time
> these "characters" appear because people try to include pure binary data
> like bitmap images in their XML documents. In this case these are
> octets, not characters. The typical recommendation in this case is an
> additional encoding or escaping layer like Base64 or hex encoding
> (1C5FFF3C...) which are supported in XML Schema (i.e., XML Schema
> provides data types for them). The alternative is to avoid inclusion,
> but store the data in some external document and reference it from the
> XML document. Except for the form feed character, I've not yet heard of
> someone who really want's to use these as real characters.

Making e-Business Work Around the World