Re: A "Sensible Defaults" Approach to an ELReq Recommendation

On 05/02/2018 05:15, Daniel Yacob wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I've been thinking about ways forward for the ELReq document and have a
> thought to share.  The initial approach was to identified areas to be
> addressed, then arrive at a recommendation from stakeholder feedback.
>
> Finding and engaging willing industry stakeholders to acquire feedback
> then became an unexpected obstacle. I still subscribe to this approach
> but appreciate now that it will take significant time to get through.
> Until then, I propose that we review the questions raised for each topic
> in the ELReq document and determine the most "sensible defaults" to form
> the basis of a recommendation.
>
>  From there, test cases can be developed to help developers implement
> the recommendations.  Thoughts?

hi Daniel, and others,

Over recent months at the W3C we've been formulating a new approach to
lreq work, in order to support more hoped-for initiatives related to the
i18n sponsorship program.

QUICK OVERVIEW

We encourage groups to develop a gap analysis document first, which
looks for issues in support for a given set of languages in web browsers
and ereaders, documents them and uses a broad classification to describe
the severity of the issue.

The relevant lreq document would then be added to in order to flesh out
the requirements for a feature described in the gap analyis.

The lreq document can also describe the writing system more fully (ie.
features not mentioned in the gap analysis), and that would be helpful,
but the idea is that doing the gap analyis workk in parallel will
provide a sense of movement and and practical applicability that wasn't
so clear before.

The gap analysis results are summarised in a matrix at
https://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/language-matrix.html

You can read more about how this is expected to work in the two
following pages:
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-discuss/wiki/Analysing-support-for-text-layout-on-the-Web
https://github.com/w3c/typography/wiki/Setting-up-a-Gap-Analysis-Project

While generating prototypes and examples, i actually used your excellent
elreq doc to produce a quick-and-dirty preliminary gap analysis document
for Amharic & TigriƱa at:
https://w3c.github.io/elreq/gap-analysis/

HOW THIS MAY RELATE TO ELREQ

If you like the way this is going, you are welcome to further develop
the gap analysis doc, and use that to encourage additional participation.

Let me know what you think. And of course let me know ask if you have
questions.

ri