From: John C Klensin <john+w3c@jck.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2023 2:04 PM
To: 'Internationalization Working Group' <public-i18n-core@w3.org>; Addison
Phillips <addisoni18n@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: agenda+ Topic: Verifiable Credentials: time handling and I18N
Considerations

Addison,

As indicated earlier, I will not be able to participate in tomorrow's call,
so one comment:

The IETF has work going on in the SEDATE WG [1] on time and time zone
representations, including a document, draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended
[2], that has already completed IETF Last Call.  There is also a WG named
LAMPS that has been addressing issues with X.509 certificates, including
issues with non-ASCII identifiers.

I could easily have missed something, but a quick glance through the VC
materials did not seem to show awareness of those efforts.  If there are
some overlaps in the work, as appears to be the case, and the proposals are
not completely consistent, awareness of the nearly parallel efforts should
be clear and the differences documented and explained.  Probably that should
start with some formal liaison effort between the VC group and the two IETF
WGs: I see no sign of awareness that there is W3C work going on in this area
in either the SEDATE or LAMPS charters.

thanks,
   john

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/sedate/about/
[2]
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended/
[3] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lamps/about/

--On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 09:33 -0700 Addison Phillips