Re: agenda+ Topic: Verifiable Credentials: time handling and I18N Considerations

Addison,

As indicated earlier, I will not be able to participate in
tomorrow's call, so one comment:

The IETF has work going on in the SEDATE WG [1] on time and time
zone representations, including a document,
draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended [2], that has already
completed IETF Last Call.  There is also a WG named LAMPS that
has been addressing issues with X.509 certificates, including
issues with non-ASCII identifiers.

I could easily have missed something, but a quick glance through
the VC materials did not seem to show awareness of those
efforts.  If there are some overlaps in the work, as appears to
be the case, and the proposals are not completely consistent,
awareness of the nearly parallel efforts should be clear and the
differences documented and explained.  Probably that should
start with some formal liaison effort between the VC group and
the two IETF WGs: I see no sign of awareness that there is W3C
work going on in this area in either the SEDATE or LAMPS
charters.

thanks,
   john

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/sedate/about/
[2]
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended/
[3] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lamps/about/

--On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 09:33 -0700 Addison Phillips