Re: I18n and Linked Data - an important (but fixable) omission?

Hello Martin,

2011/9/8 "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>

> Hello Felix,
>

> On 2011/09/08 17:49, Felix Sasaki wrote:
>
>> Hi Antoine,
>>
>> I am putting the i18n core group into the loop. This group has a lot of
>> discussions like these, with arguments like you are bringing about IRIs:
>> "Many of our readers won't need to know about it, if just because they do
>> not really need it".
>>

> In many cases, there is indeed no need. But that applies to the individual
> identifier, not the overall infrastructure.
>

>  I assume that even if the library identifiers may work
>> with ASCII only,
>>

> I'm not familiar with library identifiers in a more narrow sense, but I can
> easily imagine e.g. that in a library in an Arabic-speaking country they'll
> use Arabic characters rather than Latin ones. I'd guess the situation would
> be about the same as with number plates for cars and such.
>

>  there will be in the future more and more a push towards
>> domain names that are internationlized, The National Diet Library in Japan
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**National_Diet_Library<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Diet_Library>
>> Already has an entry in the Japanese wikipedia that is an IRI
>> http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%**E5%9B%BD%E7%AB%8B%E5%9B%BD%E4%**
>> BC%9A%E5%9B%B3%E6%9B%B8%E9%A4%**A8<http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E7%AB%8B%E5%9B%BD%E4%BC%9A%E5%9B%B3%E6%9B%B8%E9%A4%A8>
>>

> That's trivially an IRI like any other URI because all URIs are IRIs. The
> 'real' IRI is http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/**国立国会図書館<http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E7%AB%8B%E5%9B%BD%E4%BC%9A%E5%9B%B3%E6%9B%B8%E9%A4%A8>
> .

You are right. With my mail user agent I was not able to paste the 'real'
IRI in, unfortunately.

> This makes tons of sense, because that's how a wiki works: The terms and
> topics get directly reflected in the Web address.
>

>  I think librarians also outside of Japan should how to handle these kind
>> of
>> identifiers.
>>

> Definitely.
>

>  Background for the i18n core folks: this is about adding a paragraph
>> related
>> to IRIs in the "library linked data incubator group" report.
>>

> Paragraph or sentence may be up for discussion, but not mentioning it would
> be a very sad omission.

I agree. Antoine, in case you see a place where this would fit without being
"too prominent", please provide a pointer.

Regards,

Felix