Re: I18n and Linked Data - an important (but fixable) omission?

Hello Felix,

On 2011/09/08 17:49, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
>
> I am putting the i18n core group into the loop. This group has a lot of
> discussions like these, with arguments like you are bringing about IRIs:
> "Many of our readers won't need to know about it, if just because they do
> not really need it".

In many cases, there is indeed no need. But that applies to the
individual identifier, not the overall infrastructure.

> I assume that even if the library identifiers may work
> with ASCII only,

I'm not familiar with library identifiers in a more narrow sense, but I
can easily imagine e.g. that in a library in an Arabic-speaking country
they'll use Arabic characters rather than Latin ones. I'd guess the
situation would be about the same as with number plates for cars and such.

> there will be in the future more and more a push towards
> domain names that are internationlized, The National Diet Library in Japan
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Diet_Library
> Already has an entry in the Japanese wikipedia that is an IRI
> http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E7%AB%8B%E5%9B%BD%E4%BC%9A%E5%9B%B3%E6%9B%B8%E9%A4%A8

That's trivially an IRI like any other URI because all URIs are IRIs.
The 'real' IRI is http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国立国会図書館.

This makes tons of sense, because that's how a wiki works: The terms and
topics get directly reflected in the Web address.

> I think librarians also outside of Japan should how to handle these kind of
> identifiers.

Definitely.

> Background for the i18n core folks: this is about adding a paragraph related
> to IRIs in the "library linked data incubator group" report.

Paragraph or sentence may be up for discussion, but not mentioning it
would be a very sad omission.

Regards,    Martin.

> Felix
>
> 2011/9/8 Antoine Isaac<aisaac@few.vu.nl>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd object against adding this as a self-standing recommendation. Indeed,
>> it seems more like a general linked data or even web problem, something that
>> goes beyond our library-focused scope. And it would make an extra layer of
>> complexity too visible: the huge majority of material on LD (including
>> TimBL's principle page keep to URIs, and even if it's a quite bad practice,
>> that's for a reason (I expect, mostly because the "difference" between URLs
>> and URIs is hard to get, next to all the other technical LD stuff).
>> Many of our readers won't need to know about it, if just because they do
>> not really need it -- even the more technically savvy ones.
>> That being said, it would be really fair to slip in somewhere one sentence
>> refering to IRIs and their advantages, e.g., when we mention best practices
>> to create identifiers, or in the technology section.
>>
>> Antoine
>>

>>   Here I would disagree. The use of IRIs is pushed forward in many specific
>>> Web standards - just search for "IRI" under www.w3.org/TR/<
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/>  , or for internationalization in many W3C
>>> charters. So the "general web practice" is to mention IRI as much as

>>> _library_datasets<http://www.w3.org/2005/__Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft___recommendations_page_take2#__Create_URIs_for_the_items_in___library_datasets><