Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 11:34:28 +0100, David Clarke <w3@dragonthoughts.co.uk>
wrote:
> If on the other hand we propose standards where the lack of
> normalisation of is tolerated, but require late normalisation, we can
> produce a functional result. As they stand, the normalization
> algorithms, and checks, are fast to execute if the input is already
> normalised to their form. With this in mind, the majority of the
> performance hit would only come when non-normalised data is presented.

Several people seem to have the assumption that there would only be
performance impact for non-normalized data. That is not true, for one
because an additional check has to be made to see whether data is
normalized in the first place. (And as I said right at the start of this
thread, milliseconds do matter.)

(Ignoring for the moment the enormous cost and pain of changing
codepoint-equality-checks to canonical-equality-checks in widely deployed
software and standards...)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>