Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

On Feb 2, 2009, at 21:02, Phillips, Addison wrote:

> Because browsers are NOT the primary creator of the content. Early
> uniform normalization refers to every process that creates an XML/
> HTML/CSS/etc etc. document. The browser reads those documents and
> must still deal with normalization issues.

To me, it seems unreasonable to introduce serious performance-
sensitive complexity into Web content consumers to address the case
that a Web developer fails to supply HTML, CSS and JS in a
*consistent* form in terms of combining characters. (I think even
normalization in the HTML parser post-entity expansion would be
undesirable.) How big a problem is it in practice that an author fails
to be self-consistent when writing class names to .html and when
writing them to .css or .js?

In my opinion the most reasonable way for browsers to deal with
normalization of identifiers is not to normalize before performing a
string equality comparison. And then it's up to authors to be
normalization-wise *self*-consistent in their HTML, CSS and JS.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi