RE: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

Hello Anne,

> 1) Do browsers normalize currently?

The emails below point to some tests and results that show that the major browsers on XP currently don't normalise class names and selectors before comparing.

> 2) Assuming they do not, who have complained?

I don't think we can build the Web purely on the basis of what people have complained about in the past.  The Web needs to be built in the most accessible way possible, and we need to, where we can, anticipate future issues.  In this case, these issues are likely to touch most on developing parts of the world who probably haven't yet found their voice to a large extent.  But I suspect they will, and I think we have a responsibility to bear them in mind so that the Web can be used more universally, at the same feature and usability levels.  Consider the hoops we are asking them to jump through as alluded to in the mail pointed to below.  Wouldn't you complain?

Cheers,
RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead