Re: [XHR] i18n comment 9: locale information

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:14:58 +0100, <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> Comment:
>> In addition to the comments below, we note that there is barely
>> mention of language or locale negotiation or locale considerations in
>> this document. This is probably appropriate given the scope of this
>> document, focused strictly on the XmlHttpRequest object.However, it
>> should be noted that lack of these capabilities will require
>> non-interoperable custom implementations. Standardization of
>> language/locale negotiation for AJAX and REST type interactions (that
>> rely on XHR) should be described somewhere. This may represent a work
>> item for the Internationalization Core WG. In particular, we note
>> these documents:
>>
>> Web Services Internationalization Usage Scenarios
>> [http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-i18n-scenarios-20040730/]
>> Requirements for the Internationalization of Web Services
>> [http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-i18n-req-20041116/]
>
> Yeah, this seems out of scope. If at some point someone writes an
> authoring guide for XMLHttpRequest it could probably provide guidance on
> this. (I don't think that the Web API WG currently has volunteers to
> edit such a document, unfortunately.)

Originally this comment was part of the introduction on our comments
page (you'll note that it refers to "comments below"). We included it as
a comment because it seemed important to our WG to mention to you. We
will most likely incorporate information on this topic into our WG's
work, which you might then informatively reference somewhere (unlikely
to be in XHR proper).

Addison

--
Addison Phillips