RE: Update: LTLI Working Draft

Since we are a public working group, I have switched this to the public list.

Felix: excellent start. Comments follow:

1. The title of the document should be "Language Tags and Locale Identifiers for the World Wide Web" ("Tags" is the "T" in LTLI). The short name should probably actually be "langtags" or something similar.

2. Section 1.1 "Scope".

   a. Change the first sentence to read something like: "This document describes mechanisms for identifying or selecting the language of content or locale preferences used to process information using Web technologies."

   b. Kill the second sentence. WS-I18N is one consumer, but language tags are used throughout document formats.

   c. The third sentence should probably say something more like: "It describes how document formats, specifications, and implementations should handle the language tags described by [BCP 47], as well as data structures that extend these tags to describe international preferences (see http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-i18n-scenarios-20040730/#IDARXSO)."

3. Section 2.3 "Language and Locale Values". Steal the definitions from WS-I18N-Scenarios (just above). In fact, there is a lot of very useful text in that section of that document.

4. Section 1.2 "Out of Scope". Actually, I think that this document (or some document produced by this WG as part of this effort) should directly deal with guidelines for choosing language tags as well as for choosing and implementing matching schemes. The distinction between language negotiation and locale negotiation is an important one, but language-based processing is an extant problem poorly understood by most implementers. It is my hope that this document can help clarify that.

More to follow.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.