Re: An issue with the Unicode BiDi Algorithm

You would use a <br> if you wanted, for some reason, to have a linebreak
in the middle of a paragraph.

> What I mean is, <p>'s and <br>'s
> have semantic significance, they're not just vehicles for visual style

The reason that you are getting a problem in display is *precisely* for
that reason. There is a real semantic difference between <br> and <p>, one
that is recognized by the BIDI algorithm (*after* applying the W3C
recommendations for how to deal with <br>).

"1. xxxx <br>2. xxxx" is all part of one paragraph semantically, so as far
as the bidi algorithm is concerned, it is the same as having "1.
xxxx<space>2. xxxx" where there happened to be a line-wrap before the "2".
What the user really wanted is separate paragraphs, one starting with "1."
and the next starting with "2.".

BTW, I'll be out the rest of the week, and won't be able to respond.

Mark
___
mark.davis@us.ibm.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148

Eyal Rozenberg <eyalroz@technion.ac.il>
02.15.2005 05:05 AM

Mark Davis/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS, bidi@unicode.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org
cc

Subject

Mark Davis wrote:
> ...  it appears to be that the bug filers want to treat
> paragraph spacing.
> So it seems like what the people really want would be to use a <p
> style="margin:0"> instead of a <br>.

have semantic significance, they're not just vehicles for visual style
which you override with something like "margin:0". e.g. I may want to
break a line without breaking the paragraph, and it is reasonable for me
to want to write an RTL sentence which ends with an LTR word before the
period on the first line, followed on the next line by an RTL sentence
which happens to begin with, say, a number. They may be two sentences
forming a single paragraph semantically, which should not have to be
split up just so as to display like one would expect them to.

So, is there some compelling reason why neutrals at ends of lines should
not have the same direction as that of the paragraph (with no control
characters present of course)?

Eyal

PS - I'm assuming it is appropriate for me to also CC the two mailing
lists; if that is not the case, please let me know.