Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016, at 12:13 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> So Literary Chinese and Mandarin are hard to determine? I checked
> Windows region/locale/language settings but it doesn't seem to have
> these in the list.
Mandarin is just what we generally refer to by saying "Chinese".
Literary is a historic language of Chinese, which is not used in daily
life nowadays.

> Maybe we should handle them as "unknown", so that browsers fallback to
> use the system setting?
What should zh (without anthing else) do, actually? What happens to that
should probably be what we do for Mandarin and Literary.

> FYI, Wikipedia[1] already uses lzh", without script.

If we use Wikipedia as the criterion, the list would significantly
change. Basically as far as I can see, Wikipedia uses Traditional
Chinese in almost every Chinese languages it has a version for. But I
suspect that most of those Wikipedia are built by language enthusiasts,
and not used by people in general, so I tend not to pick that as a
criterion.

But on the other hand, I guess those language tags are almost only used
in Wikipedia, and not anywhere else...

- Xidorn