Re: Intermixed Hangul in Japanese // 日本語と韓国文字の行の調整処理

On 2014/10/24 00:41, Koji Ishii wrote:

>> On Oct 23, 2014, at 23:45, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hm... they're like 漢文(Classical Chinese) with spaces, right?
>
> Han-only Korean text (traditional, 500 years or so ago) is similar to Kanbun, but Hangul-only or primarily-Hangul text is somewhere between Chinese/Japanese and Latin. Words are separated by spaces, and lines can break either at character or word boundaries[1].
>
>> So I'd imagine they would be justified like Kanji/Kana with spaces but perhaps there are justification rule for Koreans in Japanese I'm not aware of?
>
> I can imagine such layout is quite possible, especially given most Hangul words appearing within Japanese are likely to be a single word, but I wonder maybe if two or more words appear within Japanese text, they might need to behave differently.

I agree. I'm in no way an expert, but I guess it also depends on the
intended reader. If a single Hangul word is just included for something
close to curiosity's sake, then it probably will be treated mostly like
Kanji/Kana. If it's a phrase or a sentence of Korean, it will most
likely have spaces where it needs spaces, and that will help with
justification. If it doesn't have spaces, then I'd declare that the
author's fault, and not care too much that CSS doesn't do too good a job.

Regards,   Martin.